Monday, August 5, 2013

Photoshoot


Last Friday was the first shoot for the portrait. My wife Katria (Visit her website here) is a very skilled photographer, and often assists Mark McCatry on advertising shoots. I was very blessed to be able to rely upon her expertise in this area. I had planned to do most of the work in the studio, but I wanted some idea of the effect that the light and landscape would have on the face and clothing, so Katria and I spent some time over the past few weeks scouting possible locations.

My model, Lauren, drove up to Albany to spend a few hours in the studio and in the landscape, so I could gather some visual reference material for the paintings. Everything went well, and we couldn't have had better weather. The bugs were worse than we expected, but they didn't bother Lauren much at all. Clearly the Mohawk dressed the way the did for practical as well as aesthetic reasons. I had planned to do a lot of the painting from photographs taken in my studio, but things worked out so well in the woods, that I've decided to use this material instead.

In a few days I'll create a post introducing Lauren, my model.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your process here for our parish. I work at St. Kateri and have been posting your updates on our parish Facebook page. There have been some nice comments by our parishioners. You may be interested in liking our page (Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Parish) and viewing or even commenting on them. Kris Rooney

    ReplyDelete